Friday 5 February 2016

Flag of The Week

Just a quick one today. As I'm just off out of the classroom.
something I really love about teaching younger levels is the opportunity to add in a few bits and pieces of trivia with the English they use.
As you may or may not know, I love flags and capital cities. For that very reason I like to introduce a new flag of the week each week to my kids. I used to go with the traditional, more common flags but recently I found students to be wildly more interested in flags that had something a little different. Countries that weren't your run of the mill classroom countries.

The PowerPoint just here (or notebook, here, depending on your technology) contain ten completed flags. Below the top ten are my next 14 weeks work. I'll be updating them on a regular basis.  I'd advise downloading them, not just going straight from Google. They lose a lot of their functions.. They're simple called flag of the week. Like all my materials you can get them from the links at the top of the page too.


I've found it to be a great way to get students to see there is a world outside their country and outside the countries portrayed on the western news week-in, week-out.

I tend to use it at the start of my classes when I am going through various routines, such as the weather. Each class a different student gets a different flag. At the end of the class I recap with a quick quiz then the following class the student repeats what they can remember.

Well, it's Friday and time for me to log off.

I hope you all enjoy what the weekend has in store for you.

'til the next time.

H

@EFLuencyfella

No comments:

Post a Comment