Wednesday 15 March 2017

What have you got, Taylor?

The other day whilst cruising along the motorway on the way home from seeing the in-laws I was doing what I do best, vaguely irritating my remarkably tolerant wife. Every time there was some kind of statement, question or... well basically anything, I was responding to the lyrics of the song. The song in particular was Blank Space, by Taylor. It's not the first time I've done it and I'm certain it won't be the last. It then dawned on my wife, who is also an English teacher, that this horrifically irritating habit could be turned into a fun classroom game.

I started by doing the same song in class:

What could you show me Taylor?
I could show you incredible things.

Like what exactly?
Magic, madness, heaven, sin

Fair Enough, Well what happened next and what did you think about it?
Saw you there and I thought
Oh my God, look at that face
You look like my next mistake


How long is it going to be?
So it's gonna be forever

and so on


Image result for taylor swift looking terrible
This went on a wee while. I then set my students the task of choosing a verse of whichever song they liked to prepare and come back into class and have a conversation with their favourite pop stars

They did stunningly well. Even my weakest students were forming questions perfectly and it even seemed like they were producing some kind of natural language.

It was just one of the many sensational, inspirational ideas given to me by my significantly better half.

Have a go.

@ELFluencyfella

No comments:

Post a Comment