Wednesday 9 December 2015

Getting to know your students a little better.

How do you get students to pay attention in class? Well, preparation is one of the big things. If you're ready for a class and don't just go in and throw a class together ad hoc it'll generally run an awful lot smoother.
Other than that making the class relevant to the students will always spark interest. Small things like writing their names in examples and mentioning their names out of context tend to help.
That's why I devised this questionnaire. I wanted to know more about my students to enable me to tailor the classes to their needs and, perhaps more importantly, their interests.

A fully editable version is available here Questionnaire and my sample answers here my answers. I've updated this blog with a sample of one of my students answers. It restored my faith in humanity just check out Iñigo's answers

Print it off, hand it out and obviously change your answers so they're appropriate to your classes level. If you're feeling imaginative why not try in your student's mother tongue.

Now I've got my students answers I can change parts of my classes to make sure at least one person in the class is giving me their undivided attention or even getting others to give their attention to them.

If you were an animal, what animal would you be? Why?



What is the best book you’ve ever read? Tell me a something about it.



What is your biggest strength when using English? Speaking, listening etc



What area do you need/want to work on the most?



If you could have been alive in any place during any era, when and where would it have been?



What do you do to improve your English outside of the classroom?



What is your favourite English word? Why?


What do you know more about than most people?



What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?



In an Ideal class what would you learn?




Who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman? Why?




What is your superpower? What real superpower would you change it for?





No comments:

Post a Comment